Sunday, October 19, 2008

Hitting Platypus Bottom


By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by imitation, which is easiest; and
third by experience, which is the bitterest.
-Confucius

I read Scott Allen’s article on the platypus bottom, a metaphor used by stock market analyst Art Cashin on CNBC referring to the current market meltdown. According to Cashin, "The trouble with this one is this isn't a normal-looking bottom. It might be a platypus bottom. It might just be something strange we've never seen before."

What’s with a platypus bottom? To start with, a platypus is an unusual animal. It's a mammal, but it lays eggs, has webbed feet, a body like an otter, a bill like a duck, and it spends most of its time underwater. A paradox, as Allen puts it. So a “platypus bottom” is something unusual or out of the ordinary. Something we have never seen or experienced before.

It’s when your teacher tells you that your project is outstanding then gives you a failing grade, that’s platypus bottom. When you have just finished a 100-page dissertation then your computer breaks down - platypus bottom. It’s when you have invested your whole life savings in a company then it suddenly closes taking your money down the drain with it, you’ve reached platypus bottom.

Allow me to tell you my platypus bottom: I resigned from my teaching job to explore new possibilities as an entrepreneur. I was doing it part-time for awhile and decided to expand it further by going full-time. It was not as easy as I thought. Being an employee is miles away from being an entrepreneur. The first few months were alright since I still have enough money to sustain my needs. I worked on my business the way I did while I was still employed. But my circumstances became more intense and my clients became scarce. The “old way” does not work anymore. Worse, my “survival money” is nearing zero. I was tempted to give up but I refused to. That’s when I realized that I have to grow myself and transform if I want to succeed. The faster the better. Suddenly, I desired what I have been afraid to embrace - change.

My mentor always says that when you’ve reached “rock bottom,” that’s when your mind starts thinking of ways to get back and breakthroughs occur. I believe she’s talking about platypus bottom. It’s when you experience situations that you’ve never been before and you are pushed to create ways to get through.

Hitting platypus bottom is uncomfortable and often painful but that does not mean that we should avoid it. It can actually be empowering. Take it as a learning experience and an opportunity for change and personal growth. As Allen says, “the sooner you can recognize it… and start exploring new solutions, the sooner you will get out of it, rather than wallowing in it for months.”

No comments: